Sharon in Maine makes planned HeartStrings quilts that have inspired me and other members of our group to play along. This was my first one and I love how it turned out.
If you’d like to make your own Sharon inspired HeartStrings quilt here are the guidelines:
Quilt size is 54×72
Block are set 6×8 – make 48 blocks.
First, please review our block guidelines to see how we make our blocks and then adapt them as noted below.
- Choose 8 fabrics – I yard each ( not all of each fabric will be used)
- All strips are cut 2 inches (fabrics 1-7)
- For the corner triangles (fabric 8), use the same fabric on both sides of the block and they are cut from 4 inch squares (cut the squares first and then cut them on the diagonal). Sometimes I’ll also cut 2.5 inch strips for my corners. See what works best for you.
This is a planned quilt with all the strips in the same place for each block. So once I’ve chosen all my fabrics, I like to cut a strip of each and arrange them in a pleasing order. Here are the fabrics I’m using for my current quilt.
Then I make a test block. In this case I did not have enough of my red fabric for all my corners so I chose a 9th fabric to use on one corner – you need to be consistent with the corner you put each fabric if you use two like I did here.
The fun starts when you put the blocks up on a design wall!
NOTE: Nann made one and was a little more precise in her fabric measurements — we just estimated a yard of each knowing there would be some leftovers but I’m including Nann’s measurements here in case you have some fabrics you’d like to use but have less than a yard of them.
*It turns out that you don’t need one-yard pieces of all eight fabrics. Label the center 1, the strips flanking it 2 and 3, then 4 and 5, then 6 and 7, and the corners 8.
• #1, #2, #3 — 16 strips (32″).
• #4 and #5 — 12 strips (24″).
• #6 & #7 — 11 strips (22″),
• #8 — 4 strips (8″). That is handy to know if I try another Sharon quilt. ***
***Please note that I like to use the triangle pieces or strips cut 2.5 inches on the corners so Nann’s measurement of 8 inches for this final strip is NOT enough for me!!
Here are other versions I’ve made
This one had 24 blocks and I added borders since I didn’t have enough of my fabrics for a typical 48 Block quilt.
You may notice that I love using a stripe fabric for my center string!
And a couple more.
(c) MaryQuilts.com – 2017