Quilt Notes for my Triangle Scraps quilt.
I do NOT have fabric amounts as I just kept pulling scraps until I had enough blocks. Feel free to email me with questions at email@example.com
- Quilt size is 54 x 72
- Block size is 6 inches (6.5 with seam allowances)
- Blocks are set 7 across and 10 down
- Border is cut 6.5 inches
Using whatever method you prefer, you will make 4 half square triangles for each block that finish at 3 inches (3.5 with seam allowances). I used my Accuquilt GO 3 inch finished half square triangle die.
I also used a variety of background fabrics for my quilt although the drawing above shows just one.
I pressed my blocks as follows which both decreased bulk AND kept my seam allowances going in opposite directions.
To assemble the block – the top two half square triangles are sewn together and the seam allowance pressed to the left (the dark fabric). The bottom two triangles are sewn together and pressed to the right (the light fabric).
The two halves are then sewn together and the center is separated to decrease bulk – this involves picking out a couple stitches and half the seam is pressed up and half is pressed down as in this photo.
© Mary Johnson 2012 – MaryQuilts.com
And here’s my finished quilt
Here’s another one … with a few differences.
- Triangles are 4 inches finished (4.5 inches with seam allowances)
- Blocks are 8 inches finished (8.5 with seam allowances)
- Blocks are set 6 across and 8 rows down
- Brown border is cut 4.5 inches
- Finished quilt size is approximately 56 x 72.